While resting in the comfort of luxury in beautiful Villa Belle you can go down in Podstrana and enjoy the sea and sun on the beautiful beaches that are away from the Villa Belle just 5 minutes walk. Beaches in Podstrana are gravel with affordable access to the sea, calm and clean and far enough from the urban rhythms and traffic jams. Podstrana has 6 km of coastline which is almost all in the beaches so that everyone can find a beach to there “liking”. While at the beach enjoying the crystal clear sea, the sun and the beautiful view you can try some of water sports like windsurfing, sailing, sport catamarans, water skiing and water skating.
If you decide to take a break from swimming, sun and sea, you can go on a tour of some of the cultural sites that are hidden in Podstrana, which show a rich historical heritage of this region.
St. George (Jure) on Vršina, the oldest Church in Podstrana, situated on the hill above the village Podstrana. It was erected in the 11th century in the immediate proximity of the prehistoric fortress, from when the unexplored cemetery near the Church also dates back to. It was built on the mountain pass, where the paths connecting Srednja and Donja Poljica converge, and characterised by the stylistic simplicity of pre- Romanesque church construction in Dalmatia.
Church of St. Anthony and St. Rocco was built in the 17th century as a double church. Wooden altars with altarpieces are preserved in the interior of the naves. South-east of the Church is a stoned belfry with unassuming signs of the baroque style.
Parish Church of the Immaculate conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located under Perun’s peak. By its simple façade and proportion it dominates the space and accentuates the centre of the village. In the church, there are 5 baroque altars. The main altar is consecrated to the Holiest Sacrament from 18th century. The single church is completely painted with church motives, and on the ceiling is a painting of the Blessed virgin Mary of immaculate conception.
Church of St. Fabian and St.Sebastian was built as the votive chapel (because of the plague) in the vineyards south of the village, mentioned in 1748. After its demolition in 1927 it was newly built from scratch in 1939, at the north of the chapel are the remains of the baroque chapel’s sanctuary wall.
Reading-room built in 1912. It is simple building, which did not catch the wave of the then modern secession present in the details also in the more distant villages. Podstrana’s cultural and entertainment life unfolded in the reading-room.
Parish Church of the Our lady of Health was built in 1967. It is a central building with a polygonal lay out, with the central entrance on the south side. The church’s structure lies on 16 webs that carry the shallow cupola vault. The sanctuary was built on the northern part, and there is the large chancel of chapel on the southern part that can be approached by a double staircase.
The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Gospa u Siti) – is a recent building, between 1954-1956, but on the foundations of an older church destroyed during the Second World War. Around the church, there is a cemetery with medieval sepulchral slabs, some of which are adorned with the half-moon and the pruning knife. From the previous church are preserved lintel, a bell tower and a rosette at the front and side of the bow door.
The Church of St. Martin is situated on a site where many ancient finds have been discovered. The church of St. Martin was first mentioned in a document from 839. year, famous Mare Nostrum, the peace treaty between Croatian Prince Mislav and the Venetian doge Peter Tradonika. In the wall surrounding the old cemetery behind the church were found two inscriptions related to Roman general Lucia Artorius Caste (Lucius Artorius Castus), which entered into legend as the first English king Arthur, founder of the Order of the Knights of the Round Table and a great military leader, who is accordin the inscriptions buried in Podstrana.
Country villa Cindro is composed of a larger south western house with an L shaped lay out and a smaller rectangular in the north-east, connected and fenced in by a big defensive wall with a garden in the centre. The northern house with an aperture for cannons had a defensive purpose, while the southern one had economic and housing use. The Cindro family, that preserved that complex, was one of Split’s most important Split noble families, and its members had important functions in the life of Split from the 15th until the 19th century. In 1979, the Cindro buildings complex was registered as a cultural monument.